Oprah's list of Top 10 Superfoods
I was on Oprah.com yesterday, doing research for a new project that I'm working on with Sarma, and to my surprise I ran across this list of Oprah's Top 10 Super Foods filed under the category - Things Every Woman Should Know.
I'm just excited that Oprah is using the word "Super Foods" not to mention that 7 out of 10 of them are strait-up raw!
- Açaí fruit: This little berry is one of the most nutritious and powerful foods in the world. It can often be found in juice form in health food and gourmet stores.
- Anything in the "Allium Family": Garlic, onions, leeks, scallions, chives and shallots can all help the liver eliminate toxins and carcinogens.
- Barley: This can be used as a breakfast cereal, in soups and stews, and as a rice substitute. Barley's also high in fiber, helping metabolize fats, cholesterol and carbohydrates.
- Green Foods: Green foods like wheat and barley grasses can be bought in powder, tablet or juice form, and offer greater levels of nutrients than green leafy vegetables. They also help cholesterol, blood pressure and immune response.
- Buckwheat, Seed and Grain: Buckwheat is loaded with protein, high in amino acid, stabilizes blood sugar and reduces hypertension.
- Beans and Lentils: You can reduce cholesterol while beefing up on antioxidants, folic acid and potassium. Try kidney, black, navy, pinto, chickpeas, soybeans, peas and lentils.
- Hot Peppers: Both bell and chili peppers contain antioxidants, have twice the Vitamin C as citrus fruit and work as great fat burners.
- Nuts and Seeds: You can't go wrong with a handful of nuts a day—walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, macadamia and pistachio nuts contain omega-3 fats, which are great for your heart. Raw, unsalted nuts and seeds are best.
- Sprouts: Numerous varieties of sprouts are great with any meal. They're a great source of protein and Vitamin C. Try adding them to any dish and your immune system will get a boost.
- Yogurt and Kefir: These cultured foods contain healthful bacteria that aid immune function, and the calcium helps burn fat. Try using them as a base for a smoothie.