Interview with Ani Phyo on life as a chef and how to start eating more raw food
Download the interview | 49 minutes
Today we catch up with Ani Phyo. Ani is the host of an award winning uncooking show on YouTube and the author of the international best-seller, Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen.
Ani and her delicious raw food recipes have been featured in everything from Boing-Boing, the world's most popular blog, to the Travel Channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.
Life Growing Up
- Growing Up & her relationship to food
- Her father's experiences with raw food and mono eating
- How she discovered gourmet raw food in San Francisco at Juliano's Raw
- How Ani's mental alertness and energy was effected by her introduction to raw food
- How raw food effects the process of being creative and why
Building Her Career in Raw Food
- The story of how she became a raw food chef and transitioned out of her corporate career
- Building the raw food community in Los Angeles with friends
- The challenges Ani faced building her first company, Smart Monkey Foods
- How Ani's first book synchronistically came together
Practical Raw Food Tips
- What simple raw recipes make up Ani's daily raw food intake?
- Ani's tips for getting the most bang for your time when it comes to making dressings, soups and pates
- Ani's tips for keeping food handy for quick meals on the go
- How does Ani recommend that people get started with raw food in the most gentle and fun way possible?
- Ani explains the cause of obesity and how most people, even if they eat a lot of calories, are always starving for real nutrients
- Her recipe for learning how to feel great on raw food... one baby step at a time
- Ani talks about some common potholes that newbies get stuck in when increasing their raw intake
- If people could only do one thing, what should they do?
Raw Foods and Green Living
- Ani talks about how a raw, organic, local, seasonal diet reduces our ecological footprint
- How Ani's kitchen produces no trash at all
- Voting with our dollars and spending money on fresh produce vs spending money on prepared foods
Ani on Marketing and Building Community
- Why it's important to think of your raw food business as a community building tool
- What advice raw food chef Julio gave to Ani when she started her career
- How sharing is an important aspect of growing
- A sneak peak at Ani's next book