Happy New Year!
Ready for a Cleanse?
I hope you all had an amazing New Years Eve and are off and running to make big, bold leaps into 2012! Many of us, including me, will be going on a new years cleanse, so this week we’ll be talking about the in’s ands out’s of Cleansing and Detoxing, including a special guest article tomorrow on why even people on a raw or high raw diet should cleanse, from Dr Ariel Policano of Women Go Raw, a Naturopathic Doctor from La Jolla, California!
Deciding to go on even a simple cleanse or detox diet is a big deal! Congratulate yourself for honoring your body enough to make the commitment. No matter which cleanse you choose to go on, to get prepared for this, there are a few things that are incredibly helpful to ensure your success. Plus 5 everyday basic cleansing tips to keep your body in tip top shape!
Make a Plan!
It’s like traveling with a road map, if you have one your less likely to get lost. Write it all down. Get prepared. Clean out the junk in the cupboards and fridge so you won’t be tempted. Create a daily schedule complete with a body, mind and spirit protocol. Write down all the reasons why you are doing the cleanse and keep it in a place you can see it often if you start feeling weak. Go shopping for the food and supplies you’ll need so you won’t get caught unprepared and stray.
Take charge of your emotions!
To do an effective “Cleanse and Detox” it goes beyond food. There is most definitely a mental, spiritual and physical aspect as well. Now, don’t panic! This IS optional but highly recommended.
Processing the stuff in your head helps to heal emotional, addictive eating and lifestyle patterns. Often we use food to quiet or numb emotions we don’t want to feel. You can’t heal what you won’t face. But your worth it, so do it! (If there IS a significant trauma or situation you are dealing with, please find a qualified health professional to assist you while you are processing.)
This is a great time to journal and use vision boards or simply a list as a way to get clear on why your doing this, the benefits and how you will stay dedicated. Please refer to the article titled “How to Set Intentions for a Healthy & Happy New Year” for some questions to get you started on this process and for motivation and encouragement see the article entitled “Ready for the Transition”?
5 Everyday Basic Cleansing Tips
- Drink at least 16 ounces of water with some fresh lemon juice as soon as you wake up. Continue drinking water throughout the day to help flush out your system, enhance digestion and immunity, reduce cellulite, increase energy and metabolism. Even slight dehydration prevents the kidneys from purifying the blood, causes constipation and thus the stoppage of toxin elimination. For men the average recommended amount of water is about 3 liters or 13 cups and for women 2.2 liters or 9 cups
Purposeful “Spa Treatments”!
- Body Scrubs and Dry Brushing your skin helps to stimulate the lymphatic system, remove dead skin cells and open pores allowing the body to be able to sweat and release toxins more effectively.
- Epsom Salt Baths help relax the body and draw toxins out.
- Hot and Cold Contrast Baths stimulate circulation. Remember, when you start cleansing internally you have to cleanse the skin to allow toxins to be released via the pores. The skin is your body’s largest organ of elimination!
While your on a cleanse it’s a time to be gentle with yourself and let the body heal. It is helpful though to do some gentle exercise to assist in toxin release, increase oxygen supply to cells and tissues and increase blood circulation.
- Yoga is my favorite exercise for a cleansing diet and beyond, especially twists, which wring out the organs.
- The Rebounder is another great way to get a gentle cardio workout and stimulate the lymphatic system at the same time.
- Taking a walk is also a great way to exercise while cleansing.
Add Raw Cultured Veggies to your diet!
They help improve digestion, are cleansing and help control appetite. They assist in the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut, help reduce inflammation, help create B Vitamins and assist in protein absorption.
- Raw Cultured Veggies and easy to make at home and are very inexpensive. Two of my favorite books on the subject are Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates and Cultured by Kevin Gianni and a host of amazing Raw Chefs!
Deep Breathing stimulates lymph flow!
- Lymph fluid is filled with immune cells that deliver nutrients. Lymph fluid acts somewhat like your body's sewer system as it removes toxins and helps destroy pathogens. The deeper you breathe the more effective it becomes. One of my favorite breathing techniques from yoga is called Alternate Nostril Breathing.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing: Use right thumb to close off right nostril. Rest your index and middle fingers on your forehead. Inhale slowly through left nostril, Pause for a second. Now close left nostril with ring finger and release thumb off right nostril. Exhale through your right nostril. Now inhale through right nostril. Pause. Use thumb to close of right nostril. Breathe out through left nostril. This is one round. Start with 4 or 5 rounds and gradually increase.
So, whatever cleanse you decide to go on, these tips will assist you in being successful and achieving great results! Leave a comment below about what YOUR favorite Cleansing Tip is!
Be sure to stop in tomorrow for our special article from Dr Ariel Policano! Happy Cleansing!
In Love and Health, Lori